|Release Date(s)|| JP: February 27, 1996|
NA: September 30, 1998
EU: May 10, 1999
AUS: November 1, 1998
|Compatible with|| Gen I|
|Paired with:||Pokémon Blue/Pokémon Green|
|Succeeded by:||Pokémon Yellow|
Pokémon Red, is part of a series of RPG games called "The Pokémon Series", and is part of the first generation of Pokémon games (also including Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition and Pokémon Blue). As a young Pokémon Trainer, your goal is become the greatest Pokémon Master ever, by capturing and training up to 151 Pokémon. Not all Pokémon are available in one version, and you'll need to trade with friends using a Game Link cable to catch 'em all!
Although used on a Gameboy Color, the main pallet is red, black, and gray.
Contrary to popular belief, Pokémon Red and Blue weren't the first games released in the series, Japan actually received two games before this, which weren't shipped internationally, those titles were Pocket Monsters Aka and Pocket Monsters Midori (Pokémon Green and Pokémon Red).
A Pokémon Green ROM was released, however it was translated into English exactly from Japanese, and therefore is quite hard to understand, with captions such as "but unable to determine smoothly!", and "CATAP's firm tO assail!"
- Pokémon Red, is compatible with Pokémon Blue, Green, Yellow, Crystal, Gold, and Silver.
- 139 catch-able Pokémon in the game (the rest can be obtained by trading with friends who have Blue/Yellow version)
- Game Link Cable to battle and trade Pokémon with friends!
- Insert game into a GameBoy Color and Pokémon Red will appear in Red Filters.
- Insert game into a Super GameBoy and Pokémon Red will feature a special red Pokéball border.