|Release Date(s)|| JP: November 21, 1999|
NA: October 15, 2000
EU: April 6, 2001
AUS: October 16, 2000
|Compatible with|| Gen I|
|Paired with:||Pokémon Gold|
|Succeeded by:||Pokémon Crystal|
An all-new World of Pokémon awaits you with Pokemon Gold and Silver. Like the first 3 games, Gold and Silver each offer a slightly different mix of Pokemon, and it's your job to catch 'em all! New technologies are available to help you. The game's internal clock keeps the actual time, effecting when Pokémon can appear due to the new real time system! Master new Pokémon types and attacks. A Time Capsule lets you trade Pokémon between previous versions, and of course you can trade with your friend using a Link cable.
The game was later remade as the very successful Pokémon Soul Silver.
It's up to you to find, capture, and train all 251 Pokemon in the Johto region. This can be accomplished by trading with the Gold and Silver versions. You also must become the greatest trainer in the region, which means you must defeat the eight Gym Leaders, then finally defeat the Elite Four, who are the top trainers of Johto.
But it doesn't stop there. Once you've defeated them, you can head on over to the Kanto region and prove yourself there. Can you get all 16 badges?
- New region: Pokémon Silver takes place three years after the events in Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow. Now you get to explore the newly discovered region of Johto, full of grassy areas, bodies of water, forests, and other environments suitable for the Pokémon inhabitants. Like any other Pokémon game, it's up to you to find and capture all the Pokémon and become the top trainer of the region. But this time the story extends further than that...
- Pokemon: Johto is home to 100 new species of Pokémon as well as a few from the original 151. Also new is breeding Pokemon. Breeding is essential for getting that perfect Pokemon you've always dreamed of and for reproducing rare species of course. With new Pokemon comes new attacks, like Whirlpool and Dynamic punch, and new items, like the berries and new Poké balls. Speaking of items, Pokémon are now able to hold items, which gives you more strategies for combat.
- Day/Night system: Also new is the day/night system. All you have to do is input the correct time and it will go through day and night just like in the real world. This hugely affects what types of Pokémon that you'll be able to find. for example, Hoothoot can only be found at night, while Sunkern is only found in the morning.
- Trading between older versions: Some Pokémon you simply are not going to find in Silver, which is why you can trade from your Red/Blue/Green/Yellow versions to Silver. Bring over your hard trained Pokemon to complete your Pokedex and have a better edge at battles.
- Shiny Pokémon: The Johto generation was the first to introduce shiny Pokémon, they have different coloration and are very rarely found. Johto is also the only generation to implement the use of shiny Pokémon having superior stats to those that are not shiny. The only exception where receiving a shiny is by chance is the Red Shiny Gyarados which can always be found at Lake Rage.
- Poké Balls: In this specific generation we see the introduction of more specialized Poké Balls. These are made from Apricorns, picked from a special plant which can be found all of Johto. A man in Azalea Town then fashions a Poké Ball depending in the color of the Apricorn.
- Pokérus: Pokérus, the Pokémon Virus was first introduced in this generation and will double the effort values gained from a battle. To catch this virus you must battle an infected wild Pokémon, this however is even rarer than to see a Shiny.
- Pokémon Eggs: Pokémon eggs are a fantastic new feature to the Pokémon World. With the introduction of the Pokémon breeding concept, baby forms of old favorites are now available along with many other perks. This is done at the Pokémon Day Care Center.
- Go back to Kanto: In this generation you have the only chance so far to go back to a previous region, in this case Kanto, the home of the Games Red/Yellow/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen. This then increases the possible gym badges to 16.
- Red: Silver Cave holds a secret trainer. One you all know (or should know) well. This trainer has the strongest trained Pokémon in all of the games. He is widely regarded as the toughest trainer to beat in Pokémon history. His name is Red, but he is based off of the character Ash Ketchum. Good luck trying to beat him... If you even find him to begin with.
- Pokedex (Gold/Silver)
- Attacks (Gold/Silver)
- Item Dex (Gold/Silver)
- TM/HM List (Gold/Silver)
- Daily Events
- Important Events
- Johto Evolutions
- Johto Shopping List
- Shiny Pokemon
- Special Pokemon
Related ThreadsConnecting Soul Silver through a DSi WPA connection - last post by @ Feb 20, 2011
The grand opening of silver club!!!!!! - last post by @ Aug 28, 2005
The Soul Silver Shoppe (GRAND OPENING!) - last post by @ Nov 3, 2009
Pokemon soul silver party help please! - last post by @ Feb 25, 2012
is there a reward for completing the johto pokedex in soul silver? - last post by @ Aug 25, 2013